Monday, February 28, 2011

The in-between terrine: brousse de bresis

My boxing partner demanded this morning at 7am: so where exactly is the next terrine? I am just as terrified at failing the blog as my partner's heavy sparring punches, so I have decided to take myself to task and get back on board the terrine train. I haven't exactly been down for the count, but mainly have been a little preoccupied with getting back in the full-time uni groove. Last week we went back pre-semester and to be honest I'm still a little shell-shocked - and not just by the queue for course books at the co-op. Today was the first day of school, and with the typical humanities-type timetable I had a class at midday and my next one is at five. In between I have come up with the goods and my next terrine is: brousse de bresis, or terrine of sheep's curd. Before I hear you groan: oh dear god, can this woman PLEASE make a non-cheese-related-terrine, I have to remind you that the Sydney weather at the moment is simply not conducive to meaty, rich terrines. You may also have realised that I am a cheese-over-chocolate person. Given the choice of eating either at any time of day, the answer is always: cheese please.




I have substituted sheep's curd (didn't have time to dash over valleys to the local shepherds' farmers' market) for a nice quality goat's cheese with a little dill thrown into the mix. I've been craving chilli lately, so I tossed a nice hot one in there. The other major ingredient with this terrine is one of my other favourite foods: zucchini. This is a dead easy recipe and when you see the finished result you will be impressed! Warning: arty shots ahead.




Simply slice the zucchini horizontally (for want of a better word) - thinly. The bottom slice can be thrown away so that the base can stabilise. Then spread the goat's cheese mixture over each slice and re-assemble the zucchini the way nature intended:






It's starting to take shape. And you've only spent approximately seven minutes on this dish so far! It's win-win. Once all slices are stacked and accounted for, scrape the edges with a spatula to spruce up the overall effect:



In fact it was so appealing, someone came running...




This is a more free-form terrine, and does not require any refrigeration or gelatin to prepare. This is a nice, fresh terrine that can be made in minutes, with maximum visual impact. If you like zucchinis, so much the better! Now, friends, I must dash - have to get to my lecture this afternoon on 'Evidence-Based Practice in the Secondary School'. Then I can come home and crash on the couch with this terrine, my mum and the Oscars! Bon appetit....



No comments:

Post a Comment