Thursday, August 4, 2011

Somethin' fishy's been goin' on: salmon rillette



People, terrine-lovers, I apologise. After an interminably long terrine hiatus (life, university exams, my first student prac in a real life high school - all getting in the way), I am back on board. And already well behind achieving my target of producing 52 terrines this year.
A little thing called Masterchef has been avidly promoting the heck out of terrines in the last while, and I'm pretty sure the SMH Good Living section took one look at my blog and ripped off the idea totally. So I think terrines are officially in the Australian consciousness now, with a little help from Maggie Beer and her masterpieces, and some well-placed journalism. Oh well,  I'm with Wilde - it's better to be talked about, I guess, than not at all.
May was a blur of taking on my first prac as a high school English teacher, June was all about exams and July was Le Tour month where my life officially Goes To Hell in a Handbasket. Also, my sister and her partner arrived home from London to rejoin family life on Bailey Ave. Home life IS an episode of Packed to the Rafters. Welcome home, sis and especially to our new South African family member (bring on the World Cup, I say!).
Hank the wonder-dog has been in the wars, probably was touched by an angel or two along the way, but now has four feet firmly planted on the earth and is still a terrific little helper in the kitchen, as demonstrated here:

But, I digress. Friends have been hounding me for a new terrine, and here 'tis: salmon rillette.
You'll need some good skinned salmon steaks (I used 3), tarragon, creme fraiche (I used sour cream), shallots and good butter.


One of the blessings of living back at home is Mum's kitchen. It's better than any Delicious magazine or Gourmet Traveller, and she's better than any guest chef on Masterchef. There's nothing she can't do and doesn't have. Note the gorgeous new cream-coloured Kitchen Aid.
Lightly fry the salmon so that the fish remains translucent and a little pink in the centre. Whizz it in the food processor with small chunks of butter until it becomes a chunky, fleshy paste.
Transfer to a bowl and then add a dollop of sour cream, some finely chopped shallot (1 tsp), finely chopped tarragon (2 tsp), salt and pepper and mix.
Mix it together gently without overworking it, then spoon into small pots, making sure there is no air between the layers of mixture. Melt a little butter and pour over the top and garnish with a lemon slice (note the special cameo guest spot from the clean washing hanging over the chair).
3 fillets will make around 3 small pots. But the stuff is lethal and very rich, so I imagine if you are taking this to a gorgeous dinner party (as opposed to a teaser before Mum's rockin' roast chicken), you could lob up with just the one pot. It will be enough.
Et voila! See you soon and I promise not to leave it too long between terrines. I'm thinking about how I'm going to recreate Maggie's incredible chicken-skin coated terrine. Mmmmm. x

No comments:

Post a Comment