Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sacre bleu! Nutella-and-crepe stack

Today's terrine is a slight departure from the cheese-and-grain-terrines of late. In fact, it's a more-ish departure, a stackable terrine of crepe and nutella. Mr Reynaud is very fast and loose with the term terrine and I love him for this. If you can stack a food, apparently you can call it a terrine.


Anyone who has ever had one of these fine creations in Europe will remember their first time. Like possibly thousands before me, I had my first nutella crepe at a stand just outside the Basilique du Sacre-Couer, atop Montmartre in Paris. It was a cold, wet, afternoon and I was recreating my own Amelie fantasy. But the carousel was empty, people were few and far between and there were absolutely no gnomes on holiday.




I'm pretty sure I had one in every European stop, perhaps with variations on a theme. In particular, I'll never forget the first nutella waffle I had in Brussels, with my new-found Belgian family, the Govaerts. I think I had several in Bruges, too. And on it goes.


This morning, we had a visiting coterie of cousins, aunties and uncles on their way to the airport to drop my cousin who's off to work at the Melbourne Flower show. The plan to create a nutella-crepe stack was well-received, if not with a little trepidation and the sheer volume of nutella used. You will need a large stack of crepes for this recipe, and a large jar of nutella. I'm not sure how I managed to get to this age without ever having made a crepe in my life, but I suppose there's a first time for everything.  My first crepe was a pancake, and the mixture definitely needed to be thinned out. I made a stack of around 12 crepes, then it was time to assemble the beast:



Layer the nutella between the crepes, and when you cut the first slice, you should have something like this:

And once everyone has demolished it, it looks a little like this:


People were bursting at the gills after this terrine, and I feel it would make a fantastic dessert on its own - or elegant snack post-slumber-party. You'll need a ton of people to finish this off. I have just delivered a fair whack of this terrine over to the neighbours' (both of them eminent psychologists), and in return I'll be getting help with my next psychology assignment. Bon appetit!


PS a special thanks to Helen over at grabyourfork, who writes one of my fave Sydney food blogs, recommending a feast of food (often) off the beaten review track. She's linked cinquante-deux terrines to her blogroll. Cheers, Helen! 

1 comment: